Sunday 22 February 2015

Dorset Weekend

Thank you all for your brilliant comments on last week's post. I don't think this week has been quite so hectic although we have been away for a few days this weekend.  I think the post title rather gives the destination away, don't you?

We stayed in this lovely B & B just outside Dorchester in a small village called Winterbourne Steepleton.  At first we were upgraded to a beautiful room with a four poster bed.  Now I'm not keen on four poster beds, never slept in one mind, but just don't fancy it.  A bit claustrophobic for my liking.  But, as I didn't want to make a fuss I thought I would at least have a look at the room after all the lady had been very kind to upgrade us.  Well you probably all think I'm completely potty!! It was a stunning room, beautifully decorated with comfy chairs too, but I kept looking at this bed thinking there's no way I can sleep in that.  My husband even tried to get me to 'try it out'.  Not what you're thinking!!! But there was no way it was going to happen and after about 10 minutes of uming and ahing (as I didn't want to make a fuss) we had to ask to be moved to the room we had originally booked which is also a lovely room, very cosy, just not quite so big as the other.  That suited me fine though! How relieved did I feel that night sleeping in a normal bed :)  

Do you think I was completely mad? 
How do you feel about sleeping in a four poster bed?

We were planning a couple of walks over the weekend and were very lucky with the weather as on Thursday when we arrived it was tipping down and didn't stop all day.  Friday was a lot better, no rain at all, a little dull but we could cope with that.  We stopped off briefly to see Hardy's Monument

It was built in 1844 in memory of Vice-Admiral Sir Thomas Masterman Hardy, Flag Captain of HMS Victory at the Battle of Trafalgar. Amongst other things, Hardy became famous as it was in his arms that Nelson died, saying the immortal words 'Kiss me Hardy'. 

Here is a view from the monument 

After this brief visit we made our way to Abbotsbury for the start of our first walk.


Here we are half way up the first hill, looking back towards Abbotsbury 
with Chesil Beach in the background

I took loads of photos but added just a few more photographs here.  The beach you will see in these photos is Chesil Beach.
Chesil Beach is 18 miles (28 kilometres) long and, on average, 160 metres wide and rises to 12 metres in height. It is a pebble beach connecting Portland to Abbotsbury 
and then continuing north-westwards to West Bay near Bridport. 

On Saturday we had an equally stunning walk from Lulworth Cove,
past Durdle Door to White Nothe (Whitenose).
We took the coast path from Lulworth Cove and returned by the higher path on the ridge.  We were luckier with the weather today and had quite a bit of sunshine and also a hail storm!

Look at these wonderful views.

 Lulworth Cove

 Durdle Door
Durdle Door Arch
We had just walked down the hill opposite and were half way up this one!
Looking across to Portland
Looking down the coast towards Weymouth
And on the return journey, the hail storm!

I could go on and on.  I took over 100 photos.  I just couldn't resist them.
I wont bore you with any more though.
I'm off over to Handmade Monday now
to have a mooch around.
Thanks for reading and I'll see you there
x

PS. As I was so happy with these photographs and the beautiful views whilst on our walks I am going to link up to Planet Penny for Happy Friday No.8
I wonder what has made you happy this week?



44 comments:

  1. What a fabulous place to visit, I love walking through beautiful places too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what beautiful pics, stunning scenery, I've never been down to Dorset. As for the four poster, never tried one and actually never thought about one - give me a king size any day! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually 6ft square. But that still didn't swing it for me :)

      Delete
  3. I used to go to Dorset as a child so these photos were such a blast from the past! I don't mind four poster beds but can't bear to sleep on anything other than a very level surface. Uneven floors make me think I feel seasick, which really is foolish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear these pictures rekindled some memories for you. I understand uneven floors! Trying to get a decent night's sleep when camping springs to mind :)

      Delete
  4. Dorset looks beautiful, I would love to go one day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth a visit. Plenty to see and do :)

      Delete
  5. What gorgeous photos. It all looks stunning. I've never slept in a four poster, but I'm not sure it would bother me either way. We all have our quirks, though - it's what makes us all unique and interesting! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh I've never slept in a 4 poster, I would give it a try tho! Stunning photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pictures, Dorset is so beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it really is. We've been a few times now and always manage to find something new to see or do :)

      Delete
  8. I love Lulworth Cove, we took the kids years ago when they were small, it's such a beautiful part of the country. You had fabulous weather!
    I've never fancied a 4 poster either, but never had the chance to try one out. You know that it really is ok to "make a fuss" if it really bothers you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Julia. I just knew I wouldn't feel comfortable. Yes we were very lucky with the weather. It rained either side of these days!

      Delete
  9. What beautiful views. You were certainly very lucky with the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, don't think it would have looked quite so beautiful in the rain :)

      Delete
  10. ah. So that's what GREEN looks like! And, UNfrozen water!!
    Don't mind me, I've just come in from a few hours of shovelling *again*! And "enjoying" our momentary "HEATWAVE" of -5C! - Supposed to be back down to the -20s again tomorrow... Had -40 windchills just the other day... So THANK YOU for the GREAT PICS!!
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simply beautiful. I love that part of the coast. I am giggling a little at the Four Poster Phobia though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to have a good giggle at my expense Lucy :) The look on my face apparently said it all :D

      Delete
  12. A beautiful area and know so well, having spent many a holiday in Dorset. the pictures bring it all back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of you have been to Dorset, it is a very popular place.

      Delete
  13. So glad you had a lovely time away! Seems so odd seeing someone blog about places on my doorstep! I live in Dorchester. I love the coastline round here, we are truly lucky I always think and, despite living here, I also take far too many photos! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very lucky having all that beauty on the doorstep, it's nigh on impossible not to be in aw of it and take loads of photos :)

      Delete
  14. Wow. I really need a holiday looking at your lovely pictures! I think I'd be fine about a four poster, but I kind of get why you might find it claustrophobic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! It was a beautiful room and I'm sure the bed was wonderfully comfy, just not for me :)

      Delete
  15. Beautiful photos, i remember going to the same locations on a geography field trip many years ago! I can understand you not wanting to sleep in a four poster, i think things have to feel just right to get a good night's sleep, i'm glad you changed room rather than suffer in silence! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we were told a lot of children visit Lulworth Cove on Geography field trips. It's not like me to suffer in silence!! I was very glad we moved rooms :)

      Delete
  16. Wow! Those are stunningly beautiful photos. The countryside is so green and lush. Sounds like you had a fabulous holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely break thank you in a lovely part of the country :)

      Delete
  17. What a fabulous weekend it's lovely to get away and this looks like a beautiful place. As for the 4 poster bed I haven't slept in one either but I wouldn't really choose one it doesn't appeal to me however I would have given it go just so that I could say I have slept in a 4 poster bed, the room you did stay in is much more to my taste. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely area and yes the room we eventually stayed in was more to my taste too, had everything we needed and cosy :)

      Delete
  18. Beautiful photos; they're so clear and full of detail. I love the last one with the hailstones and the rainbow. Glad you had a lovely weekend away, even if you didn't fancy the four poster. I always think they seem a bit medieval! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady after my own heart :D I was really pleased I managed to catch the hail stones, although the rainbow unfortunately didn't show up too well :)

      Delete
  19. Sounds like a fantastic break, We visited Dorchester many moons ago and had a lovely time. We also loved Abbotsbury with its Swannery. I think I would have gone for the four poster myself, but can understand you swapping if you're not keen on them. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I managed to photograph the swans at the Swannery from the path we were walking on.

      Delete
  20. We haven't managed to get away for a while so I had a nice little 'virtual' trip courtesy of your lovely photos! It brought back lots of memories of real trips to Dorset, so thank you for that! At Lulworth was the man still there that sells the beautiful painted seashells?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see any man selling seashells but perhaps he is there during high season. So glad I provided you with a virtual break :)

      Delete
  21. Your photos look wonderful, what beautiful views. I have to agree with you on the four poster bed. I can't stand getting in a lift. The thought of the curtains around the bed gives me the creeps. I'm glad you had such a lovely time and got to swap the room. Take care.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ali, it's good to know I'm not alone. The room we got eventually (the one I booked!) may not have been quite so grand but it was perfect for our needs :)

      Delete
  22. What stunning views! A gorgeous place to visit. I've never slept in a four poster bed either. I think I'd be ok with the curtains drawn back, but if they were closed I would be convinced that something unspeakable was lurking outside! Thanks for joining in with Happy Friday x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see where you're coming from. It would have been bad enough with the curtains draped by the sides ... oooh it makes me shudder just to think about it :D

      Delete

I really appreciate all the lovely comments you leave so thank you for taking precious time to do this.